First Real Job
Although I had other part-time jobs back in Michigan, like picking apples, raspberries and cutting lawns, my first job upon moving to California was at a dry cleaning business on the east side of town. It was along the main street, Milpas where the shop was located. My dad had introduced me to the owner who was a member of our church. He was looking for someone to work on Saturdays, waiting on his customers. I was looking for a job at that point and it seem like an opportune moment.
My job responsibilities were as follows:
- Greeting the customer
- Filling our an invoice for the procedure to be done, the cost, customer's name ad address, when it was due for pick up
- The clothes were put into a bag and the invoice was attached.
- When the customer came in to pick up their item/items, I would match up their receipt with our copy of the invoice which was reattached to the bag after the cleaning had been done.
- Most of the payment was cash, so I would collect the money and make change
- I also cleaned up, and closed the shop on Saturday evening.